On Sunday 20th October, His Grace Bishop George of Canberra celebrated the Divine Liturgy at the Holy Protection Cathedral in Melbourne during the week of the commemoration of the Holy Protection of the Mother of God.
Concelebrating with His Grace were Mitred Archpriest Nicholas Karipoff; Archpriests Nicholas Dalinkiewicz, Peter Sheko and Yaroslav Belikov; Priest Mark Woloszyn; Protodeacons Basil Kozulin and Alexander Abramoff; Deacons Emil Mishriky and Paul Baksheev. Guest clergy included Archpriest Fr. Boris Ignatievsky (Cabramatta), Fr. John Dimitrov and Fr. Paul Walliker ( Antiochian Orthodox Church). As well as local parishioners there were guests from other parishes in Victoria.
In 1949, a meeting of migrants from post-war Germany was convened to establish the Parish of Our Lady’s Protection in Melbourne. Initially the parish rented church premises and in 1954 it purchased a former Anglican Church in Collingwood. For over 50 years regular services were held in Collingwood.
In 1989 a foundation laying ceremony was held for a new cathedral at a site in East Brunswick. With the generosity of parishioners who donated their time and money, a new Cathedral was constructed, and regular church services began at the new cathedral in 2006. There is now a Church and community complex that all can be proud of.
After the Liturgy, Bishop George gave a sermon, calling the community to band together under Christ's banner and to find solace and comfort in God's love.
Awards were presented to Protodeacon Alexander Abramoff, Choirmasters Dimitri Souprounovich and Nicholas Cowall, Reader Gregory Metlenko and fundraising organiser Judy Oleinikov.
After the service a festal banquet was held at L'Unica Receptions in West Brunswick.